Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Have warm colors "chilled" ? Are cool colors "hot"?

We have been decorating with warm colors for a few years now. Depending on your area of the country, some color trends change faster than others. Where I live (western new york state), we are still decorating in a warm color palette (tans, beige, golds, sage greens, rusty reds) but I am starting to see signs that warm colors are evolving into cooler colors.

Just recently a client ask me to help them pick out a dusty cool blue paint color. I was showing another couple two different rugs for their living room - one was cool and one was warm. They specifically said "We want the cool colors because we see warm colors everywhere. We want to be different" .





One more sign of change is I just read an article in "House and Garden" about Gwyneth Paltrow's house. In this article Ms. Paltrow states" I like cool, neutral colors. I don't like warm colors for my house. I think a cool palette is more serene"

I'll keep you posted as the trend becomes more fixed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Julie, I haven't read the article yet but just a side comment: do you know why the publishers discontinued House & Garden magazine? I've been a subscriber for about 2-3 years now, I love the magazine, I love Dominique Browning's editorials. They're replacing subscriptions with Domino magazine, which I absolutely do not like.